If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (559) 797-4041

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Avoiding Electrical Fires

7/29/2020 (Permalink)

We all know that installing and maintaining a smoke detector is the best way to stay safe in case of a fire in your home, but you may be surprised to learn about the most common causes of electrical fires.  Here they are:

Faulty outlets, appliances - Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.

Light fixtures- Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount. Extension cords - Misuse of extension cords are another electrical fire cause. Appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure.

Space heaters- Because space heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs. Coil space heaters are especially dangerous because the coils become so hot, they will almost instantaneously ignite any nearby flammable surface.

Wiring- Outdated wiring often causes electrical fires. If a home is over 20 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home.

Be sure to check today and make sure none of these dangers are in your home. In the unfortunate case of a fire, the professionals at SERVPRO of Fresno Northeast / Shaver Lake are on-call 24 hours a day to help.

Call us at 559-797-4041.

Other News

View Recent Posts